Michael D. Jewell
Michael is an entrepreneur at heart - he loves the startup culture and working with new, growing, and established companies to ensure they are set up to succeed. Michael's practice focuses on a number of legal issues that impact every business and business owner, including startup work, business and corporate law, contract work, intellectual property registration and protection, real estate, estate planning, and commercial litigation.
With regard to startups and general transactional work, Michael's goal is to ensure that there are no loose ends that could come back to haunt entrepreneurs or their business. Michael's experience ranges from the initial registration of the company, to drafting the company's governing documents (operating agreement or bylaws), to assisting with the sale of business interests and/or business assets, and everything in between.
Estate planning is another area that uniquely affects entrepreneurs and business owners. While everyone should have an estate plan in place, the issues affecting business owners sometimes require special attention. Michael has worked with clients on a wide variety of estate planning needs, from simple to complex, and helps ease the anxiety associated with leaving an estate behind without a solid and effective plan.
Michael is a strong believer in creating and protecting valuable intellectual property rights and advises his clients regarding the protection of their trademarks, trade secrets, and copyrights. Michael assists his clients with the initial registration of trademarks and copyrights, the development of proper internal policies and procedures to ensure trade secret protection, and litigation representation in the event that someone tries to improperly use or infringe upon your intellectual property.
Although his hope is that businesses and partners will always get along, Michael understands that disputes will likely arise during the life of any successful business. Michael's commercial litigation and partnership dispute practices focus on resolving disputes quickly and efficiently, outside of the court room if possible. However, many disputes cannot be reasonably settled outside of court and must be taken through the litigation process in order to achieve a fair resolution. Michael is always prepared to zealously protect his clients' interests in any courtroom.
- Represented Ottawa Capital Group in a variety of fund formations, private investment offerings, and private company acquisitions.
- Represented J&A Capital Investment during judicial dissolution proceedings, including company valuation.
- Represented Warrstone Capital in a variety of real estate fund formations and private investment offerings.
- Represented the principal of a multi-million dollar construction company regarding a shareholder dispute.
- Represented Trustee in connection with administration of family trust and estate litigation.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Utah State Bar
- Cache County Bar Association (President, 2016-2017)
- Estate Planning Council of Northern Utah (President, 2016-17)
Pro Bono Activities
Cache County Thursday Night Bar
Utah State Bar, Wills for Heroes Program
Troop 394, Boy Scouts of America 2014-present (assistant scoutmaster, chartered organization representative)
- Utah (2012)
Areas of Practice
- Business Startups
- Business Transactions
- Estate Planning (Wills & Trusts)
- Trademarks, Copyrights, and Trade Secrets
- Commercial Litigation
- Partnership/Shareholder Disputes
- Labor & Employment
- Juris Doctor, University of San Diego School of Law, 2012
- BA, Political Science and English (dual major), Utah State University, 2009